Of the 1933 bestsellers, only one is a holdover from 1932. The Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas moved from eighth place on the 1932 list to fourth place in 1933. The nine other novels on the 1933 list are a diverse lot. Every novel reader ought to find one to love and possibly one to hate.
Here are the top ten with the dates on which they are scheduled for review her in square brackets:
- Anthony Adverse by Hervey Allen [May 19]
- As the Earth Turns by Gladys Hasty Carroll [May 22]
- Ann Vickers by Sinclair Lewis [May 29]
- Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas
- One More River by John Galsworthy [June 2]
- Forgive Us Our Trespasses by Lloyd C. Douglas [June 5]
- The Master of Jalna by Mazo de la Roche [June 9]
- Miss Bishop by Bess Streeter Aldrich [June 12]
- The Farm by Louis Bromfield [June 19]
- Little Man, What Now? by Hans Fallada [June 23]
In addition to these reviews, you can expect two thematic round-up pieces:
- on May 26 for Memorial Day, reflections on vintage bestselling novels about American military
- on Father’s Day, June 16, selected vintage bestselling novels about fathers
You’ll be able to vote for your favorites of the 1933 bestselling novels on June 26. I’ll post my favorites from 1933 on June 30.