Book buyers in 1953 appear to have had a yen for old-time religion, or perhaps just for old time economies. The #1 and #2 bestselling novels are based on a biblical incidents and both are whopping big novels. Several of the other bestsellers on the 1953 list are also hefty books.
Here’s a list of the 10 novels that sold the best in the US in 1953. Each is followed by the date on which I’ll review the book so you know which are worth hefting in 2013.
- The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas [20-Feb]
- The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Costain
- Desiree by Annemarie Selinko [24-Feb]
- Battle Cry by Leon M. Uris [27-Feb]
- From Here to Eternity by James Jones [3-Mar]
- The High and the Mighty by Ernest K. Gann 6-Mar]
- Beyond This Place by A. J. Cronin [10-Mar]
- Time and Time Again by James Hilton [13-Mar]
- Lord Vanity by Samuel Shellabarger [17-Mar]
- The Unconquered by Ben Ames Williams [20-Mar]