The new year will begin a new cycle of reviews of vintage novels that were bestsellers 50 or more years ago. First up are the bestsellers of 1963. They are listed below in order of their rank on the 1963 bestseller list. The date when you can look for the GreatPenformances review is in square brackets.
- The Shoes of the Fisherman by Morris L. West [Wednesday, Jan. 2]
- The Group by Mary McCarthy [Sunday, Jan. 6]
- Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters by J. D. Salinger [Wednesday, Jan. 9]
- Caravans by James A. Michener [Sunday, Jan. 13]
- Elizabeth Appleton by John O’Hara [Wednesday, Jan. 16]
- Grandmother and the Priests by Taylor Caldwell [Sunday, Jan. 20]
- City of Night by John Rechy [Wednesday, Jan. 23]
- The Glass-Blowers by Daphne du Maurier [Sunday, Jan. 27]
- The Sand Pebbles by Richard McKenna [Wednesday, Jan. 30]
- The Battle of Villa Fiorita by Rumer Godden [Sunday, Feb. 3]
After the 1963 novels, I’ll be reviewing those of 1953, 1943, 1933, 1923, 1913 and 1903. You can peek at the lists for those years by choosing the bestsellers list tab at the top of the page.