The bestseller list from 1902 contains two titles that most readers will recognize.
The Virginian by Owen Wister topped the chart in 1902 and later went on to fame and fortune in movies on television. Arthur Conan Doyle’s story The Hound of the Baskervilles also is known to thousands who never crack open a book cover.
Of the novels on the 1902 list, only one, The Right of Way by Gilbert Parker, was on the list in 1901. The links given for the other novels will take you directly to the Project Gutenberg page where you can download a copy of the novel for free to read in any of several electronic versions.
- The Virginian, a Horseman of the Plains by Owen Wister [Oct. 21. 2012]
- Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch by Alice Hegan Rice [Oct. 24. 2012]
- Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall by Charles Major [Oct. 28. 2012]
- The Mississippi Bubble by Emerson Hough [Oct. 31. 2012]
- Audrey by Mary Johnson [Nov. 5, 2012]
- The Right of Way by Gilbert Parker reviewed here Nov. 19, 2011.
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle [Nov. 18, 2012]
- The Two Vanrevels by Booth Tarkington [Nov. 25, 2012]
- The Blue Flower by Henry van Dyke [Nov. 28, 2012]
- Sir Richard Calmady by Lucas Malet [Dec. 2, 2012]
If you enjoy the books Project Gutenberg makes available, consider making a donation to the nonprofit organization. And if you need something to do and like books, you might think about becoming a volunteer proofreader for them.