The bestseller list for 1942 doesn’t include many famous titles, but it includes some marvelous reading.
If you didn’t read Marguerite Steen’s The Sun Is My Undoing when I reviewed it with the 1941 bestsellers, read it this year. It deserves top billing two years in a row—and it’s long enough for two year’s worth of reading. The other holdovers from 1941 (Windswept and The Keys of the Kingdom) are not even in the same league.
Here’s a list of the novels I’ll be reviewing in the next few weeks and the dates you can expect to see them:
- The Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel [Apr. 4, 2012]
- The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck [Apr. 8, 2012]
- Dragon Seed by Pearl S. Buck [Apr. 15, 2012]
- And Now Tomorrow by Rachel Field [Apr. 18, 2012]
- Drivin’ Woman by Elizabeth Pickett [Apr. 22, 2012]
- Windswept by Mary Ellen Chase (second year on the bestseller list) [Apr. 25, 2012]
- The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas [Apr. 29, 2012]
- The Sun Is My Undoing by Marguerite Steen (second year on the bestseller list) [May 2, 2012]
- King’s Row by Henry Bellamann [May 6, 2012]
- The Keys of the Kingdom by A. J. Cronin (second year on the bestseller list) [May 9, 2012]