This week, I’ll begin looking at the best-selling novels of 1939. Top of the list is a famous novel that became an equally famous film: John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. Further down the list is another classic book that became a classic film, The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
In the next few weeks, I’ll look at them and the other 8 top-selling novels from 1939 to see what is still good reading for folks in 2009.
Here’s the complete list of books I’ll be reviewing.
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- All This, and Heaven Too by Rachel Field
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- Wickford Point by John P. Marquand
- Escape by Ethel Vance
- Disputed Passage by Lloyd C. Douglas
- The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- The Tree of Liberty by Elizabeth Page
- The Nazarene by Sholem Asch
- Kitty Foyle by Christopher Morley
Get your library card ready!