This next week, I’ll begin looking back 60 years to the novels that topped the bestseller list in 1949. Here’s the list:
- The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
- The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas, which was #1 in 1948. Use the drop down list at the right to locate my review from last year.
- Mary by Sholem Asch
- A Rage to Live by John O’Hara
- Point of No Return by John P. Marquand
- Dinner at Antoine’s by Frances Parkinson Keyes, which was #3 in 1948. Use the drop down list at the right to locate my review from last year.
- High Towers by Thomas B. Costain
- Cutlass Empire by Van Wyck Mason
- Pride’s Castle by Frank Yerby
- Father of the Bride by Edward Streeter
A couple of these are quite good. Some are awful. Most I don’t even remember without looking up the review I wrote.
I’ll tell you which novels fall into each of those categories in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.