Ready for another year’s worth of bestsellers? Here are the top novels of 1948 based on their sales figures that year:
- The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas
- The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer
- Dinner at Antoine’s by Frances Parkinson Keyes
- The Bishop’s Mantle by Agnes Sligh Turnbull
- Tomorrow Will Be Better by Betty Smith
- The Golden Hawk by Frank Yerby
- Rainfree County by Ross Lockridge Jr.
- Shannon’s Way by A. J. Cronin
- Pilgrim’s Inn by Elizabeth Goudge
- The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw
It’s a good thing I wrote my reviews right after reading the books. I’ve already forgotten some of these supposedly great books.
I’ll dig out my notes and tell you what I thought of each one, beginning next week.